Attack on our public DNS-server

Verfasst am: 25. June 2013 von: Net-Spacy

Today we received many different little DDoS attacks which targeted our public DNS infrastructure.

Through this, several TB traffics were created from approximately 8am-11pm – on average about 50 MBit/s bandwidth which were caused by the enquiries on our DNS server.

Because we also use these DNS servers for our onsite-service clients we were not able to simply disconnect this service. This led to a slightly extended timeframe to fend off these attacks with IP blocks.

Meanwhile we have been able to block nearly all offender IP addresses, mainly from China, and hope to have peace in our systems again.

Since most of our onsite-service-clients go online via a VPN tunnel or own a fixed IPv4 address through their internet provider, we will limit everything in the next few days to single IPs which turns our “public” DNS indirectly into a “non-public” DNS.

The neverending story with the Telekom

Verfasst am: 18. June 2013 von: Dennis Kühn

After a long “silence” on this blog, here is finally a new entry.

Quickly beforehand: a few weeks aog we got a second office in order to plan and arrange our personal resources better going forward.

Unfortunately this office has not been able to be used properly – because the xDSL line which was ordered weeks ago was still missing.

We decided to go with O2 (business) as a supplier for several reasons.

The official and first wiring appointment with the Telekom (onsite technician needed) was supposed to take place on the 10.06.13 which we were advised of at the end of May via a wiring appointment notification.

Because the office was up to then nearly empty I myself stayed there between 12 – 4pm to instruct the technician onsite accordingly in order to get the wiring in the correct room.

I waited until 5pm for nothing, hoping that the technician would still arrive – but that didn’t happen. Even the facility manager had to work “overtime” because of the Telekom, as he was needed to reach the switchbox in the building.

After contacting O2 by phone I was told that the Telekom technician had already given feedback to O2 – which was: “Client not found onsite”.

I thought that was interesting since I had put a notification on the main entrance for the Telekom as well as applied our company sign to the lifts.

Well, something like this can happen supposedly – therefore we asked for a new appointment (for 7 days later)

The new appointment was thus arranged for the 17.06.13 again between 12 – 4pm.

Because I wasn’t available that day, I asked one of my colleagues to wait onsite – unfortunately again to no avail which I realized when I arrived at 4.30pm and did not meet a Telekom technician.

Another call to O2 got the same result: “Client not found onsite” – which cannot be possible – the main entrance, the lift, our level as well as our doors were sign-posted clearly.

I am now asking myself whether the Telekom does this sort of stuff on purpose in order to go to them directly and not O2? I have explicitly opted out from choosing the Telekom because I am not going to support the intent to throttling.

Because O2 is reliant on the Telekom, as well as any other provider is reliant on them, it doesn’t make much sense to change over to Vodafone for example, because the same game is played again.

The new technician appointment was secured for Monday, 24.06.13.

Hard to believe – on Monday around 2pm a subcontractor who worked on behalf of the Telekom arrived to switch the connection. After the technician quickly rang through to the connection and also replaced it in the switch room successfully he told us that the connection would go live within the next 2 hours.

At 4pm however, we had to find out again that these were empty promises – because the connection was not live. The DSL lamp was blinking which means there was no synchronization to the VT.

After informing O2 of the result in form of a fault report, we were told that we would receive a fault-clearing within 8 hours. However, this was again an empty promise by O2. According to them a technician arrived on the 25.06.13 around 2pm and did not find us – this however cannot be true because 2 of us waited here for him. With another phone call to O2 we found out that the Telekom had not reported the malfunction as complete and that we should go home so as not to wait for the technician to no purpose.

At 10pm I asked O2 for another update – this time they informed us that the malfunction was fixed in the fuse box on the road at approximately 5pm and that we should be able to go online the next day, Wednesday 26.06.13.

On 26.06.13 at 1pm it was finally there – the moment when the connection was live for the 1st time and we could surf at long last.